After a man with a rifle opened fire in a food court at an Indiana mall Sunday night, an armed bystander shot the assailant, killing four people, including the gunman, authorities said.
According to Greenwood Police Department Chief Jim Ison, the man entered the Greenwood Park Mall brandishing a weapon and numerous magazines of ammo before opening fire in the food court.
Ison claimed during a news conference that the man was slain by an armed citizen. According to him, two individuals were hurt and four people died overall.
Around 6 o’clock in the evening, police responded to reports of a shooting at the mall. Authorities are looking through the shopping centre for any further victims, although they think the gunfire just affected the food court.
According to Ison, police have taken possession of a suspicious backpack that was in a restroom next to the food court.
- At Least 15 Killed In South Africa Bar Shooting
- Carlos Santana Cancels Six More Shows After Michigan Stage Collapse
- Elon Musk Speaks Out Following Report that He Welcomed Twins Last Year
The investigation is being supported by the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police and numerous other organizations.
Chris Bailey, the assistant chief of police in Indianapolis, said, “We are appalled by yet another type of tragedy like this in our nation.”
According to him, there is no current threat to the region, and police have at least one suspect.
More information would be released, according to authorities, Sunday night.