The Tuesday box office for Avatar: The Way of Water from 20th Century Studios/Disney is expected to reach $17 million, and it may surpass Minions: Rise of Gru’s opening day of $17.5 million to become the best Tuesday of 2022.
Some competing studios are reporting higher, but we’ll have to wait till morning to see how it settles. The domestic box office for the James Cameron-directed sequel will reach $167.3M on its fifth day.
According to one distribution source, Avatar 2 has roughly $8M in pre-sales going into the upcoming weekend, which is impressive for a movie’s second weekend. Imax accounted for 14% of Avatar 2’s $16M Monday box sales, an increase from the weekend indexing of 12.3%.
- Terry Hall, the band’s lead singer, passes away at age 63.
- Ryan Phillippe To Star In ‘One Mile’ Film & Sequel Greenlighted By Paramount Global Content Distribution From Kapital & John Hlavin
- Mark Twain Prize for Humor at the Kennedy Center to Go To Adam Sandler
The current comparison for Avatar 2 appears to be Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. Avatar 2 could surpass the $17.5M in sales that that Lucasfilm picture brought in on its opening Tuesday. The previous time Christmas occurred on a Sunday, as this year, Rogue One also earned $96.1M during a second 4-day weekend. It’s a figure that Avatar 2 might realistically surpass during its Friday–Monday run the following weekend.
With the exception that Christmas fell on a Friday, the second weekend of the original Avatar similarly took place over a holiday period (which is better than the holiday falling on a Saturday or Sunday). Only 1.8% less money was spent on the movie in 2009’s second weekend (75.6M) than it was in the first three days ($77M). Amazing.
Avatar 2 will surpass the half billion mark today on a global scale. The sequel assisted Disney in surpassing the $4 billion worldwide box office mark this year, which is the most amount for any company to date.
- Jimmy Roselli Biopic About Frank Sinatra Contemporary In Works With James Ivory, EMP & Remarkable Media
- A Chip Off The Old Block? Destry Allyn Spielberg To Make Feature Directing Debut On Thunder Road’s ‘Four Assassins (And A Funeral)’
- Sean Diddy, an American rapper, announces the birth of a girl.
You can read more about our Christmas box office coverage here. Universal/Dreamworks Animation’s Puss in Boots: The Last Wish, which debuts tomorrow without previews tonight, is the only other new wide film with a chance to generate more than $100 million overall this season. That sequel, which was directed by Joel Crawford and Januel Mercado, is estimating a $4-day gross of $15–$20 million.