Tickets for the contentious Saudi-sponsored tournament at Donald Trump‘s golf property in New Jersey allegedly cost as little as $1, and attendance was light. Nevertheless, Trump and his supporters made every effort to turn the tournament into a miniature campaign rally on Saturday.
When the former president arrived for the second day of the foreign-funded tournament at Trump National Golf Club Bedminster, spectators wearing pro-Trump t-shirts in the grandstand behind the first tee exploded into cries of “Four more years!”
Later, Trump was spotted pumping a fist at the 16th tee while cheering on the Saudi competition among MAGA supporters and Christian nationalist Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.).
Local firefighter and Trump supporter Dave Teed said to Golfweek that while he “can live with” the Saudi Arabia “issue,” if it were “China or somebody like that, no way,” he would not attend the event. If I weren’t here,
The Washington Post mocked the actual competition, saying that it included sparse spectators, noisy conversation, and music blasting from speakers all throughout the course “even as golfers lined up tough putts.”
Trump has enthusiastically praised the new LIV tournament, which will compete with the PGA of America and be funded by Saudi Arabia’s national wealth fund. The Saudi tournament has been dubbed a “gold rush” that golfers should take advantage of by the “America First” former president.
However, many have derided the LIV competitions as “sport washing” by a repressive monarchy trying to repair its image following the murder and dismemberment of Washington Post journalist Jamal Khashoggi and its connections to the 9/11 terror attacks.
Families of 9/11 families and witnesses had urged Trump to decline hosting the event.
Juliette Scauso, whose fireman father Dennis Scauso perished in the 9/11 attacks, confronted Trump in a sour crowd in downtown Bedminister on Friday, asking: “How much money does it take to turn your back on your country, on the American people?”
Trump criticised the “maniacs that committed that horrific atrocity” of the 9/11 terror attacks on Thursday in response to criticism, but asserted that “nobody’s gotten to the bottom of 9/11.”
- Jared Kushner Says He Had Thyroid Cancer In White House And Hid It From Donald Trump
- Bryan Cranston’s Moonshot Entertainment Strikes Deal With Village Roadshow Television
- A Recent Lawsuit Against You Tube: How Difficult It Is to Compel the Business to Take Action Against Abuse
Earlier in the week, he asserted to the Wall Street Journal that the outrage following the horrible murder of Khashoggi had “cooled down.”
The dissident’s 2018 assassination was ordered by the chairman of the fund funding the event, Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman, according to American intelligence.
Although the Saudi government has denied any involvement in the 9/11 terrorist attacks, 15 of the 19 members of al-Qaeda who carried them out were Saudi citizens. The FBI also revealed several interactions and phone calls between Saudi authorities and the terrorists after a thorough investigation.
When the study came out, the 9/11 Families United organisation claimed that “many Saudi government officials were involved in a coordinated effort to organise a vital support network for the first arriving 9/11 hijackers.”
Trump himself has mentioned the Saudis as potential 9/11 perpetrators in 2016.